Day 2 of working on Bartz...
The first thing I like to do is to separate everything, literally, as you can see below I've cut Bartz in half, this helps me isolate the areas, same with Exdeath, I just move the major components apart. Then as instructed in Kaizo's FFX process video I move the double sided parts apart for easier viewing

The intersecting polygon problem I fixed was the back of the arms/armpits. This is the toughest part for me, but as you can see I ended up reducing some of the polygons in order to make an easier build. I think its valid to reduce the polygons, I mean honestly did I compromise the integrity of the model? I might as well make it easy, from the models I've built so far, the armpits are the most annoying part of the build for me. Maybe I'm not that good at it yet, but hey this is what it is.
One of the other big problems was the fingers intersecting the thumb, and gaps in the hand. As you can see below I have shortened the pointer finger. This took some amount of time, I'm still getting a handle on working in 3D and flattening the end of the pointer finger was time consuming. But as you can see I have a hand that will hold the sword, people probably won't be looking at Bartz' pointer finger as it is so I think its OK. I think that if I had been working with the .smd file then i might have been able to move the fingers. Or I suppose I could have learned how to put bones into the model and then move them, but oh well save that for another day.
Lastly I combined the two major components of the model and have the model to my satisfaction. (There were several other small issues with intersections and moving/copying textures)
Next step is to move it into Pepakura and start deciding my open faces.




Thanks for showing your process! It's clearly a lot of work but the model is looking great.
ReplyDelete